Arena - quo vadis?

Hi there,

perhaps I got it wrong until now, but Arena for me is kinda “meh”. I’m lvl 70+ and all I can do, is to start an Arena battle and fighting waves from lvl 1 on … EVERY time. Whats the point in this?

Why aren’t there any aquireable milestones like 25, 50, 75 … why do I have to fight wave 1 enemies over an over again, when I want to try how far I can get with new level/equip?

Thats boring at best …

Copied from Community Game Guide:

There is also the Arena Key of Memory , which will start an arena run with 100 waves already completed, or half the waves you completed in your previous arena run rounded to the nearest 10, whichever is higher.

You can earn an Arena Key of Memory in one of three ways:

• Successfully completing an Echo that grants it as a reward.
  • Dropped instead of a regular Arena Key from the Arena Rewards Chest when you abandon a run after 100+ waves.
  • Occasionally dropped from rare enemies in level 90+ timelines if you have conquered at least 15 echoes in that timeline.

So there is one Milestone …100. That kinda ‘meh’ too.

It might be ok for high level players.

It kinda makes sense that there are no Milestones you can choose from. Let’s say for example you reached Arena Wave 300 with one strong Arena Build, then you unlocked this Arena wave as a Milestone (thats how i understand is what you want?).
After it you start at Arena Wave 300 with a really bad build and complete Wave 301. Then you could technically say this bad build can do Wave 301 in Arena.
People have complained that the grind takes too long to reach a certain Wave to start from. Yes, for some builds it is easy to farm Wave 100-300 and its absolutely boring to do so…but…
Arena should showcase the best players with personal skill. So clutch players that can keep focused after 2-4 hours of arena, grinding should get rewarded for their patience and skill with a certain build.
This is how competitive gameplay should look like. I’m not saying that Arena is perfect. But at least it’s a content where players can proof their skills, and its not just only about gametime invested & perfect gear. It’s about game knowledge and personal skill.
D3 Leaderboard is all about finding Primal items and the perfect rift, so its pure RNG.
In LE 0.8.3 was horrible for Arena because chapter 9 enemies were not balanced enough to get a feeling of fair Arena Gameplay, it was more like a gamble.
Now it’s in a good spot again.

1 Like

There could defenitely be some QoL changes to Arena.

But you won’t come higher than +1 Wave with a bad build. And You won’t earn any fame or else. I don’t see it as an issue. If you are competing in arena you won’t take your worst build and try to push further.

Imho you should be able to start 10-20 waves below your best run on a character (not account). This might push max waves a bit higher, but it’s for everybody and will equal out.

I also would like to have way more options to spice things up. I like the maps with traps. Would be cool to have more of them. Would be cool to also have traps affect enemies as well. Or implement some mechanics to interact with.

2 Likes

In makes sense in your world, not in mine. Arena 301 should be more difficult than arena 300. If you can stand it with one build, you would have done the other 300 waves the same, just with heck of a lot more time.
There is no skill in playing 2-4 hours just doing arena. It’s time. I dont have time to play 4h just to reach “my level” of arena again. I’d like to play arena, reach a certain milestone and quit for today. Tomorrow I’d like to play the nex waves …

Which is a fair and reasonable point to ask for to change the experience of arena. And i would welcome to play it like that aswell, stopping at a certain wave, go to sleep, and continue at that wave the other day. Because also for me playing 4h in a row is too much.
But this way should be seperated to the competitive part and ladder.
There should be an option before starting an arena if you want to experience the arena that way or play competitive.
If you want to play competitive all players should start with the same conditions, one run only. If you log off you are out. Thats just my opinion. And i think that is fair to every player who wants to compete for the ladder.

Why though? In what way does turning it into some weird endurance test support the legitimacy of high ranks? I thought the primary interest was in recognising player skill and the effectiveness of their build. With 4 hours, we’re talking about a duration of staying in a chair that’s very much harmful to your body if you make a habit of it. From my perspective, arbitrarily excluding players based on their willingness to play such unhealthy sessions undermines rather than supports the legitimacy of a competitive ladder.

Look guys. I dont wanna make a drama out of this or argue with anyone. My intention was only to help out op that there is basically a checkpoint with the level 100 key, but i was stupid to start this conversion that we had several times alrdy on the forum about how arena should work.
At the end its EHGs decision on how they want to create their game.
That’s just how I see competitive gaming.
When i have another basketball game tomorrow, i cant tell my opponent in the 4th quarter with 2 minutes left on the clock: Bro, look…i’m really exhausted, i had a shit week, lots of work, i really need some rest so let’s continue whenever i feel like…‘’
1 week later i come into the game again, 2 minutes left, with full energy and beat my opponent by hitting 4 threes in a row in his face.
That’s not how it works.
And 4 hours were over exaggerated by me aswell. You can get to high arena waves in 1-2 hours, which is probably for the majority of the playerbase not a problem to play a videogame continuously. But hey even if you want to be the best player, sometimes you have to commit to something you have never done before. And if it takes you 4 hours to reach rank 1 because rank 1 is at wave 700 and he played 4 hours continously…well than you have to play 4 hours continuously. That’s life.

And thats why i agreed with op but also suggested the seperation of Competitive Arena & Exploring/Testing Arena.

Sorry, have to disagree. I’m a hardcore, passioned gamer. I play videogames for over 20 years (i am 29 years old), alots of them competitve. I don’t wanna know how much i play videogames, probably too much (but what is too much, if its fun). But i eat healthy, i do sports, i do fitness, i go outside, i meet friends i live a happy life and i’m really fit, even though i sit on my ass alot during the day. It’s about what you do with the rest of your day. My future lower back or knee problems will come from years of competitive sports and not competitive gaming :smiley:

1 Like

There’s no reason to read the health thing as a personal attack. I’m expressing dissatisfaction about how the game excludes me [and anyone else who thinks the same way] from major game elements based on certain decisions that I personally consider necessary/important with respect to my health. I’m hardly trying to moralise or suggest that you should be stopped from spending your time as you choose.

I think a team sport where X number of people get on a pitch for a fixed duration may be considered a fundamentally different thing with different requirements from a solo score-pushing activity with an indeterminate uncapped duration.

Well, sure, if the record-holder is subjected to a bizarre endurance test, ofc the one to snatch the record should be too. Level playing field and all that. What I’m suggesting is that no one should be subjected to a bizarre endurance test to participate in arena ladder. Rather, I think high arena performance should be based on strength of the build, skill of execution and little else. Is there something so unappealing about that? Am I to understand that endurance and ability to allocate long session blocks are actually a more important factor of interest than the build or player skill?

3 Likes

No buddy i was not reading it as a personal attack, dont worry. Like i said, i respect all your opinions. I just wanted to say that 4hours gaming is not always the cause of health problems :slight_smile: It’s always weird to argue while sitting behind the computer, thats why i usually dont like to argue in forums and only help out here because everything written down here can be misinterpreted. And it’s even harder for me sometimes because im not a native speaker and i would feel far more comfortable to write in my language :wink:

You might be right, maybe it was an extreme example :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have to agree with @Hashashiyyin. Making an endurance test is not what defines skill. Wouldn’t it feel good to be able to do the next try to beat 300 waves when you have fully recovered instead of getting to a similar level of exhaustion on the next try?

Conditions will be all the same for everybody. So no disadvantage.

There’s also a lot of rng involved as you know. Some layouts are worse than others, some enemies tougher than others. You can be lucky and have the good layouts and enemies at higher waves or be unlucky and repeatedly fail at lower waves you already have beaten, just because you got some really lethal mob combinations.

Being able to kind of “brute force” the next tries will also flatten those rng spikes. And it will bring builds and players closer to their “real” limits.

No idea how the competitive faction’s view is on that topic. Maybe they want the thrill of having a run ended by a stupid mistake after 2-3 hours of playing arena.

I’ve never done more than one push attempt in a single play session. I’m just so tired after that. Playing 3-4 hours mono or story is different from playing arena where you have to pay attention all the time.

3 Likes

I agree with the notion. No matter what the rules of the Arena are, the best players will always end on top. Do we even need Arena keys? Unlike the dungeon, which is a special farming/crafting area, the Arena offers no special rewards. Monos are free and offer better rewards. I’d remove the keys and introduce a drop-down menu to pick the starting wave, say from anywhere in the interval of 1 to [player’s record] -20.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.