Animations, the agonizingly appalling uncanny valley

makes me think of classic linear programming problem being too many objectives with limited resources

D3 has amazing graphics and action animations ---- many people hate the lack of build diversity and customisation
PoE has lots of intricate detail and depth ---- many people hate the time investment required to master the game
LE has great build diversity and lot of customisation thru items ---- now people hate on the graphics and gameplay mechanics

and how much are you prepared to pay and how long are you prepared to wait for perfection ? You are paying GBP 28 for this game at moment. That’s about 2-3 rounds of pints with a few of your mates. When you are prepared to pay GBP 100 for the game then you can start talking about wnating perfection in everything

When making statements like these, one cannot be insensitive to the audience magnitudes and types of evaluations being made.
When it comes to criticism, what PoE and D3 have are simply preferences of gameplay by a small fringe audience in the population on which you can never achieve a complete consensus on almost by definition.
What LE has is not simply a matter of what level of commitment audience it should appeal to but how the game doesn’t represent anything modern in the animations department. This is a concern for the majority, not the minority and can have a concrete and final, satisfying solution; unlike the claimed problems for PoE and D3.

I don’t think asking for physics and movements which correspond to our universe’s laws and trends is asking for perfection.

2 Likes

Yea, I hear you and I am with you here. I guess they are really rushing to improve base animation for all classes, so they have at least something, what does not look completely comical. I hope they will iterate after this first pass, because while it is improvement in a huge way, it’s not because current animations are so great, but because original animations were just… I don’t know what word I should use :slight_smile:

Not sure if I missed it but did you actually check game by yourself recently? Did you check Primalist animations for example? I would be interested to see your reaction on this, because it felt quite decent to me.

I don’t have the game installed myself right now - I just investigated through a latest patch video and from the Sentinel post.
Is there a post for these primalist animations in isolation? I didn’t see anything noteworthy from a build video myself.

I believe it’s not. When primalist animations were improved, I downloaded game just to see it in person and while I saw still many flaws, it felt quite good to me. But I understand if you wont download the game just to see new animations :slight_smile:

I’d suggest to download the game and try.

The animations while playing yourself look a lot better than that what you see in the teasers on the forums.

Primalist and mage had animation updates as well as some enemies like the Rayeh Soldiers I mentioned. You can engage them at the very beginning of the story before using the first time rift.

Some Sentinel skill animations had gotten updates as well, like warpath and vengeance. With the next patch they get a complete overhaul.

The criticism is based on a video from a build clip in the latest patch which is essentially seeing the live gameplay.

The Sentinel updates were not good at all. That was the genesis for this thread.
From that very thread:

Human beings don’t generate force by keeping their bodies static. It just doesn’t look good or realistic in any way. In a respectable game that’s a bug report but here it’s supposedly a good product to show off, potentially even the final product?
Most if not all of the channelling skills are with frozen models like that.
Most games grapple that problem by having 2 animation sets on the model - charge & release + maybe making models float to excuse unrealistic turning movements.
The LE example has charge up only for the skill but not the human model, making it look super awkward.

1 Like

I’m not an animator, or anything even slightly artistic (unless you count colouring cells in Excel artistic), but why would that be 2 animations rather than just 1?

I’m not an animator myself either but I do understand it’s basic principles and sometimes code for fun.

In short it’s very simple - you cannot have 1 animation because player’s input and effects on the character like stuns and slows vary making it impossible to have only 1 animation. You cannot keep playing the 5 second long animation if you got stunned at the 2nd second.

It’s best to work with 2 up to 4 animation sets for long, channeling effects. This also allows weapons and character to be in “states” which decrease processing challenges by allowing animation loops and stops.
Same logic is used in shooter games - holding left click is you requesting to be in a “shooting” state and “shooting” state is just 1 very short animation loop. Once your state is not shooting( holding left click) anymore then the game has to present only 1 - 2 more loaded sets of animations to display for the action’s end, not have to load the memory up with 50 different animations and calculate which one to choose from.
I’m really struggling to explain it any easier because I’m not an expert either : >

1 Like

Currently Unity is using their Mecanim system

It’s actually very good system for most scenarios. You can interrupt any animation at any point and animator will make transition smoothly from one animation to another. You can have also additive animations on top of that. For example you can have your channeling animation loop playing, but you can have also short “hit” animation, you can play on top of that - you don’t need to make special animation for “hit” and “hit while channeled”.

You can also setup different layers for playing different animations independently, or you can just make that while you are channeling, hit animation will never play, but stun state will correctly cancel channeling animation.

Animator works with two main components - Animation clip, and animator tree. When unity loads character with animator, it also loads whole animator tree(basically animation logic) with all animation clips inside it.

Not sure why were are discussing this but I hope this clears thing a bit :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Because it’s more interesting than month end & waiting for Austrians to get back to me so I can finish the monthly accounts…

And KMQ managed to get a kitten & a dog in a pic…

I can’t take part in the technical discussion. But all points that @kiss_me_quick has pointed out are valid, imo.

Regardless of all the reasons why and why not, he’s right on the matter.

Also regardless of the impact on players (some have more issues with this, some less) he’s right.

Would look better if the character would slowly bend his arm and body until releasing the tension.

Thanks for that (:

Exactly so!

I don’t disagree that the animations need a lot more work, but I want to offer some positive feedback on some of the sentinel animations. I think the basic attack animations are quite nice. He actually swings his weapon like he’s trying to hurt someone with it. A lot of games animate weapon swings really badly, with the weapon being swung in an awkward arc, the edge not aligned with the direction of movement and mostly consistent speed across the animation, like a toddler trying to awkwardly hit someone with a baseball bat. Grim Dawn is a perfect example of this. With the new animations the sentinel in LE clearly winds up, strikes in a clean line, then follows through, with good emphasis given to the beginning and end of the animation.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.