Ailment stack 15+, why?

Why, EHG? What is the point of limiting the stack count status bar to 15? I don’t care about decision making, efficiency, info overload etc. I just want to feel good looking at my possible big stack number. That is the point of playing, isn’t it? Having fun and feeling good.

That aside, there are still many reasons for me to want to know my max ailment stack such as comparing different equipments or knowing the time to max stack.

This complaint aside, new patch looks good from the 1 hour I got in before sleep time.

2 Likes

As a software developer, I would prefer 99+ if you are restricting the display to 3 characters. :slight_smile:

I believe it’s a technical limitation / performance consideration. There’s a similar thing in place for ailment visual effects.

Then maybe you should think about making the stack limit (and their balance) match the technical capabilities of the game?

I just can’t quite understand the logic. To make a balance for 20 stacks (or even more so, an unlimited number), but not have the technical ability to implement them.

1 Like

I asked Mike about it a bit ago, the “resource requirements” double(ish) each time they increase the number by 1 (so if it were 16 then that would require double the amount of resources that having the number cap out at 15 would require), so having it go up to 20 would require 32 times the amount of computational work as it does currently.

Wow. I’d really love to know what’s going on under the hood there. There’s no way it has to be like this.

shrugs Each stack of ailment is it’s own thing (entity?) on a target with it’s own damage/sec & duration, so it’s not like you’re applying X stacks of otherwise identical poisons (or whatever), also the damage is dealt in packets so that the killing “blow” can be assigned properly & to calculate the damage properly (if the resist shred changes for example, as it would drastically with poison).

For whatever reason, ailments are treated very differently to how they are in other games such as PoE & D3. That has some benefits (different ways to scale the ailments) & some downsides (like this).

So can you then tweak the balance of the stacks so that their cap is no higher than 15?

You could, but you’d either massively buff slower hitting builds (if the targetted balance was based around a very fast hitting build with lots of % ailment chance like a Rogue & poison) or totally gimp the faster hitting builds (if the targetted balance was based around not a fast hitting build with lots of % ailment chance).

Personally I’d rather have the annoyance of not being able to see the stacks “properly” but have the freedom that we currently have with ailment builds.

This is a technical limit that is stumbled upon after implementing the ailment system. Your suggestion is they should change all their back end systems around ailments to accommodate this new UI readout.

Right?! I’ve never seen a 2^n algorithm out in the wild. I’m not going to pretend to know what their code looks like, but that is concerning.

I’m glad we have ailment indicators, though I hope we get 20+ ailment indicators at some point.

I can’t believe the resource required to display a number to scale like that. Normally it is just printf the variable that contain the stack size. Nonetheless, I have no idea what is going on with Unity and will assume it is more to do with the spaghetti code of ailment behind the scene rather than the indicator itself.

There’s no single variable that contains the numbers of ailment stacks though, which is the problem.

You mean from different stack from multiple skills? Normally it is possible to add a new variable that add the different stack from the different ailment stack and display that instead. Again, no Unity background and I am sure if it is that simple then the dev would have thought of it.

Tbh, I think just the dummy having that exception to get all the ailment max stack is good enough. For boss/enemies, I don’t even wanna know if I hit how many stack of chill, frailty etc. Just the marker to know the debuff is still there is enough

On another note. The icon is too small in my opinion. Need at least double the size.

And as temporary buffs are generated or expire.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.