Advanced loot filter question

Can someone explain the advanced options section of the loot filter? I’m not sure I get it. Like can someone explain the difference or subtlety between “tier of individual affixes must be” vs “total affix tiers of” sections?

I’m not sure I even understand what an affix tier represents. I think it’s related to level requirements but how does that impact the affix stats? Is there a tier 1 health affix that is lower health stat than a tier 2 health affix and a tier 7 health affix has the largest stat or is there something else going on?

In the first dropdown box for individual affixes you can set that number to anything but it also says items can have up to 7 tiers so why isn’t that number capped at 7? The second dropdown for the total affix tiers has a dropdown that allows you to select up to 28 which sort of makes sense (I assume this is 4 affixes at tier 7 which would be 4x7=28). If that’s how you get to 28 on the second dropdown why is the first filter for individual affixes seemingly open ended?

Item affixes (excluding idols) have 7 tiers of increasing strength, with 1 being weakest and 7 being strongest. You can see the affix tier and more information on an item by hovering the item woth your mouse and holding CTRL and ALT.

Total affix tiers means taking affix tiers from each affix and adding them together. If you have four Tier 1 affixes, then your total tiers is 1+1+1+1=4 total affix tiers. If you have 2 x Tier 1 and 2 x Tier 2, you have 1+1+2+2=6 total affix tiers.

They increase in strength as you move up the tiers. Some affixes have an area level requirement to drop and the item level requirements are higher based on affix tiers.

Not sure why it is open-ended. I understand some Filter options are generated dynamically, so it may be related to that. Good to know we might have more tiers one day :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks for the info. I knew that when upgrading an item the tier increases but it seemed like the affix shard was the same regardless. So it seemed like when you shatter an item and it creates shards it’s just creating shards of that type (not different tiers of shards of that type). I thought maybe the tiers were just the number of layers of shards applied to an item but based on what you are saying it’s not just 7 levels of the same shard layered on top of each other but 7 layers of progressively more powerful shards layered on top of each other?

So if I’m understanding what you are saying correctly I probably don’t want to shatter items unless they are at a minimum threshold Tier? What is that Tier? Like Tier 3 or 4 or what?

I think I see what might be causing some confusion. I will try to clarify.

(1) When you add or upgrade an affix, you use a single shard of that type. That is:

• adding a new affix uses 1 shard
  • upgrading an affix to next tier uses 1 shard

For example:

• to add a +Vitality affix to my Body Armour, I would use a single Added Vitality shard. The armour would now have a Tier 1 Vitality affix;
  • to upgrade to Tier 2 Vitality affix, I can press the upgrade arrow which requires 1 more shard

Note that you cannot forge past Tier 5. Tier 6 and 7 only appear on dropped items.

(2) When you shatter an item using a Rune of Shattering, you get a random number of shards for each affix up to the affix tier for each affix.

For example, if I have a Body Armour with T3 +Vitality and T2 +Health, the maximum shards I can get is 5 (3 added vitality and 2 added health). The minimum number I get of each affix is 0. I cant recall if the minimum total is 0 or 1.

If you use a Rune of Removal (instead of Shattering), it picks an affix at random and you get X shards, where X is the tier of the picked affix. In the example above, if RNG picks the +Vitality, you would get 3; if it picked Health, you would get 2.

You can read more about Crafting in the in-game guide (press G in game) or in the: Community Game Guide

As for strategy, rarer affixes are less likely to be returned by rune of shattering, so generally you want to use removal rune to get those. Shattering is great at low level though, particularly in first character, when you dont have many shards.

You will get heaps of shards, runes and glyphs as you keep playing, so remember your ABC – Always Be Crafting.

Good luck and have fun crafting :slight_smile:

1 Like

You always get at least 1 shard from shattering. So if you find an item with just one affix, you will guaranteed get at least one shard of that affix when shattering.

2 Likes

Aha! I thought was the case, but wasn’t sure and noped finding it on my phone in lunch break. :smiley:

Thanks Mike!

1 Like

Thanks all. You cleared up my confusion. Does this indicate that it’s maybe not worth shattering items with only 1 or 2 affixes? Should I only be shattering things with 3 or more or something? Seems like unless it’s a rare affix it wouldn’t be worth the glyph to shatter for only 1 or 2 affixes?

Glad to have helped. Keep clicking friend :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.