1.0.7 Change to Auto-Compare and Viewing Affix Ranges

In patch 1.0.7, it seems that a change was made to the behavior of auto-compare so that players now need to press ctrl+alt to view the affix tier and value range for each stat on an item. Prior to the patch, players with auto-compare enabled were only required to press alt to see the same value.

Players who have a degree of familiarity with the game have a very infrequent need to view affix descriptions, but have an extremely frequent need to view affix ranges. I would love to see an option to flip the two keybinds so that I only need to press a single key, rather than a key chord, to view the information that I need more often.

Thanks for your time!

Edit: I wanted to update this post with a comment from ekimarcher on Reddit. It sounds like the feedback was heard and we can likely look forward to an option to invert alt and ctrl+alt, which would cover my use case.

Quote from EHG ekimarcher:

This is the result of a bug fix which caused auto compare the erroneously affect the alt vs ctrl+alt functionality. Iā€™m actually the cause of the original bug, like 4 years ago. The whole way tooltips open was just redone to be way more efficient. Unfortunately, because the bug is so long standing, for a lot of people, itā€™s just how the game works. Iā€™ve just asked someone to put a separate option in to invert alt vs ctrl+alt for all items. (Blessings are items too)

13 Likes

I agree with the above suggestion, or add those options to the keybind options so we can set them to whatever we want.

3 Likes

this is so annoying. it has to change ASAP!!!

1 Like

Absolutely agreed.

1 Like

switch it back.thanks

1 Like

Yep, this sucks. Or maybe just give the option to always have the mod ranges visible in the settings menu. Really inconvenient considering how often Iā€™m checking them.

1 Like

I have never once needed to read the descriptions on items but used ALT to view items on the ground. This change is awful because now I canā€™t just use my thumb to view the mods ranges.

3 Likes

This is a horrible change. Please revert it. I donā€™t need to see the descriptions on items, I need to see the ranges.

please change this back. i also have alt for more info not working on several skills.

/signed

If this is an intended change then it is completely unnecessary and a waste of time, which could be spent on more important things.

Yes, please, we need this behaviour back.
I actually reported this in-game as a bug the moment I noticed because this change isnā€™t documented in the patch notes for either 1.0.7 or 1.0.7.1 (correct me if Iā€™m wrong (and blind))

Agreed.

Itā€™s a good change for new people but once you get to grips with the game, you donā€™t need to know what everything is all the time.

At minimum, give us the option to change.

This is one of my absolute pet peeves, change something but do t give us the option to change back.

Options are a must!

Please change it back!! :sob: Or at least make it an option.

Came here today to make this exact post. Thanks for saving me the time.

This wasnā€™t an intentional change. In order to fix some of the tooltip bugs, we had to basically re-create item tooltips from the ground up, and this functionality was missed. The team is aware, and are already working on it. Weā€™re also discussing other options in regards to this, such as an ā€œalways show rangesā€ option.

12 Likes

Thanks a ton for the response, Kain!

When adding the option to switch between alt/alt+ctrl, could you also add an option to have the affix tier and ranges to show as default. Iā€™m guessing itā€™s the main thing the more experienced players are interested in.

1 Like

I just couldnā€™t believe someone who is actually playing the game would have implemented this. Obviously, the most frequent (by far) use case is to see the mod ranges (easily, with your thumb). For most affixes, players who have been playing for a while, will not need an explanation - although it is appreciated to have a way to see it.

Glad to see the feedback was heard, hope for quick (next patch) rollback (or make it an option to switch between the two, alt for mod range, ctrl + alt for mod explanation).

Iā€™d like to see a gameplay option to turn enhanced tooltips on by default but Iā€™m too lazy to create a new post so Iā€™ll just type it here.